Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Song of Ice and Fire

I’m always incapable of doing anything after I get home from classes on Wednesdays. I don’t have much to complain about these days though (for now). On Monday morning a bunch of us came in early to watch the season premiere of Game of Thrones. Will was nice enough to have our director Mike save us a room. There were massive glares on the screen, and the audio wasn’t the best, but it was the season premiere, and we all squealed and hollered with happiness all the same. I can’t really tell if it was that good of a season opener; I was just so excited to have the show back on that everything seemed AWESOME. So I guess my good mood has been lasting for a while!

Yesterday was my day off, and I didn’t have that much homework to do. As a result, I didn’t feel like staying home all day, so I planned an impromptu trip to the Hermitage... for the fourth time. By the time that I had showered after the gym and had lunch, it was past 1 pm. I had a nice leisurely walk along the embankments on my way to Palace Square, and by the time I got there around 2 pm there were no lines. I went up to the ticket office, showed my student ID, and got my ticket free of charge. My goal was to get to the third floor (finally), but I still walked through the palace interiors first. I stopped in Nicholas’ dark library, and because it was a Tuesday, there weren’t a whole lot of people in the museum. Taking advantage of this and being by myself, I hung out in that library for minutes alone until some visitors came through. While I was standing there though, in that room by myself with my torso as close to the line as possible, one of the older women who works there removed the line/barrier thing and went behind the staircase of Nicholas’s library to get a scarf or shawl she had in her purse. She didn’t have to disarm any alarm or anything. She just removed the line and walked into the library, beyond the point where visitors could go. While she was back behind the staircase, I came SO CLOSE to asking her if I could go back into the library. I don’t know why I thought it would be acceptable, but it was just me in the library, and ahh! I should have. She would have said hell no I'm sure, but I liked to entertain the thought nonetheless.

I did make it up to the third floor eventually, and I was able to see most of the 19th century western european art, as well as art from Central Asia. All of Matisse’s work and Picasso’s are located up on the third floor. Additionally, I was able to take my very own picture of Henri Mattise’s “Dance” (albeit from my iPhone). I didn’t linger at any of the paintings for that long, however. Actually, you could hear my Sperry’s squeak through the halls of the Hermitage going at quite a brisk pace. I just wanted to make sure I saw it all (for the most part). When I got done with the third floor, I thought I would just wander for a bit on my way out. After walking through what felt like the same halls OVER AND OVER AGAIN (it's probably because they were the same halls, Liv), I finally figured my map out and made it to the throne room. I took my time there, soaking it all up, and finally made my way out. I was only there for about an hour and a half, but I was fully drained by the time I left. I walked back to Nevsky, stopped into some souvenir shops, and bought myself 10 postcards (which I don’t plan on sending, I’m sorry!) at House of Books before I got on the metro and headed back home. It was a quick, but an efficient afternoon well spent. Although I would probably like to go back maybe one more time before I leave, if I didn’t return to the Hermitage before I left I think I would be perfectly content. 

On a completely different note, this weekend we have a trip planned to Pskov, which is located on the Estonian border and it’s about a five hour bus ride from here (hello Dramamine). It’s one of the oldest cities in Russia, and it’s also where Nicholas II signed his abdication when his train stopped there on the way back from the front back to Tsarskoe Selo as the Revolution was breaking out in March 1917. Apparently there’s a plaque on the train station where his train cart stopped (Must. Find. Train. Station). In any case, I’m just super excited to take a trip. Seriously, I’m actually way more excited than I should be. Perhaps I’ve overestimated my desire to see what other, non-city parts of Russia look like. St. Petersburg is so western and, well, big compared to other cities. I know I’m craving nature and being surrounded by trees; I’m really looking forward to getting out and smelling fresh air. Driving out of the city and staying in a hotel with all my friends here actually also makes me giddy with happiness. What’s gotten into me?

Anyway, one last thing. Just when I thought my host mom couldn’t get any cooler, I found out last night over dinner that Nicholas II is her favorite Tsar! Hahah! I was talking about how excited I was to go to Pskov, but that the only knowledge I have of the city is that it’s old and it’s where Nicholas abdicated. And then, with a few shots of лекарство (which directly translates to medicine or medication, but it was really just some awfully strong type of liquor) in me, I said after that, “you know that I love Nicholas II?” To which my host mom responded, “yes. He’s my favorite too.” And then this is how the rest of our conversation went:

Me: What?! Really?? Me too!! Why?
NV: Он добрый и красиый (he’s wonderful and good-looking). 
Me: HAhahaha! Я согласна! 

And then I told her to wait while I retrieved those 10 postcards I had bought earlier, which just happen to be really amazing photos of the last royal family. Nina Vasilievna proceeded to put on her glasses and examine the postcards. Как ты молодец; как ты молодец! (Look at how good you are; look at how good you are! [in the same tone that she uses to talk to the cat, Emelya]). Как прекрасная пара; как хорошая пара! (what a lovely couple; what a great couple!). Как красивые дети! (What beautiful children!). 

Could they have matched me with someone better?

(I am SO WEIRD). 

No comments:

Post a Comment